Thursday, August 26, 2010

What Happens If We Gain Weight When Were Trying To Lose it?



So as I have mentioned in previous blogs that I am trying to lose a few kg before my wedding in February. I have been previously weighing myself daily but over the last few weeks I have been doing it weekly as it can do your head in doing it daily.
So Friday is my weigh day so in the gym I walk up to the electronic scales making sure no one is around to witness my weight and yes I take my shoes off (they are an extra 300 grams) and jump on the scales. To my absolute horror I have gained 500 grams! I weighed myself 3 times to check that the weight was right! A meathead who trains in the gym came up behind me and said I don’t think it gets lighter if you do it a few times, now if I wasn’t scared that this guy could flick me across the gym I would have been sure to smack him straight in the face. Did he know I was having a mini breakdown here!

Now a little confused I put my shoes back on and head over to do some exercise awaiting my trainer to come up as she teaches a 6am Abs, Butts and Thighs! She will talk me out of my irrational thinking and put me straight. Another lady I know comes and starts talking to me as I’m on a machine I get distracted and there walks by my trainer into class. I didn’t want to be rude and say to this lady I’m sorry I need Amanda to talk me of this emotional cliff I am standing on. To late Amanda is gone along with some of my sanity!
To my huge relief my beautiful best friend Corrine come up the stairs in her sexy gym gear, I proceed to tell her what has happened, now most people would give you a smart ass response (Joe I’m looking at you with your comment of you do number 2’s that weigh that much so maybe I need to go to the toilet) that didn’t help! Corrine looks and listens and says “You have upped your weights and downed your cardio training so it could be muscle gain, I fluctuated 500 grams a day don’t stress” These magic words pulls my head out of my butt and gets me back to rational thinking.

Now if this had happened about 4 years ago I would have probably starting starving myself and upping gym sessions to lose this 500grams cause my mind set was so messed up. I had to be very careful here not to fall into that trap again as it is very easy to do and I have seen people do it all the time. So when we’re trying to lose weight and we have a gain what do we do?

It’s very easy to fall off the wagon, go and emotional eat and throw in the towel. But it’s time like this that I feel you really strengthen yourself and take control of the situation.
As usual Corrine is completely right, yes I have change my routine for about 6 weeks now and yes I am lifting bigger weights so it could be muscle gain.
Also it hasn’t been a good week for me, I have been emotionally drained with various things in my life taking a toll and my eating has been a little out and I haven’t felt like I am worthy of having this weight loss I desire.

So I have made a list of what I need to do to help this process, when we have setbacks in life whether it be weight loss, loss of a job or a break up. It’s best to revaluate what we’re doing and make improvements. Now I know this may seem extreme over 500grams but I have recently spoken to people who have come back from holidays adding an extra 3 plus kg to their frame. So here is my advice

• Get a food diary going, write down what your putting in your mouth, you can do this in your phone on the diary. This is very confronting when we look at what we consume.

• I have been in a routine for 6 weeks now with training so I need to start mixing things up and keep my body guessing as it will get use to the same thing if I do it constantly.

• Thinking positive! This is a huge this as we need to stay positive or we will fall off the wagon.

• And finally stoping being hard on yourself as this isn’t doing anyone any favours, when we fall down we pick ourselves back up again and keep moving forward.

I hope this helps anyone who is trying to lose a little weight and are feeling a little overwhelmed by the situation.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you keep the last point in mind hun- take your own advice and don't freak out! You're totally right, we all have setbacks but it's how we deal with them that really shows what we're made of. You have had far far worse setbacks to deal with than a measly 500g, and you have come through them with flying colours, better than ever before!
    So just remember that, it's your advice!! :) xxxxx

    ReplyDelete