Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Budget Is A Spread Sheet That Has What My wedding Is Costing Me!



So I had my friend Lorna over the other week and we are getting married within a few weeks of each other and we were talking wedding costs. Such as how much is brides maid dresses worth and what we were willing to put in towards bridesmaids and groomsman. My other client turned and said “Oh what kind of budget do you have?” to which Lorna replied “Budget what budget? A budget is a list of what everything is costing me on a spreadsheet” I had a really big laugh at this as this tends to be the case for a lot of people getting married and I am totally n the same boat. I know what we wanted for our wedding we have booked it and every month money goes out to all sorts of things. Honeymoon, rings, photo booth and so on. I’m really good at budgeting for things and I have felt I have done a reasonable job with the wedding as I still have money left over from the original budget that my parents and Joe's parents gave us. Now to be honest I never really payed attention if I liked it and thought it was reasonably priced sure I’ll have 5 of them.

That’s really my philosophy on shopping full stop why should my wedding be any different. But the old wedding can get a little out of control when it comes to cost. You just have to utter the word wedding and you can add 50% to everything. We tried to I actually didn’t tell one place I wanted it for a wedding I wanted it for a function and got a price once they realised it was for a wedding it went up by 20%. So is a wedding really worth all money we put out for it. Remembering that all this money is for one day, the average Australian wedding in 2009 was $49,202! I would like to know who these people are and can I have a loan! Lets round that up to $50,000 I can do a lot with $50,000 pay of a chunk of my house, go to Europe and live for a while and actually stay in places that aren’t hostels. Now personally I think 50k is a little bit to much for one day seeing that is the average Australian wage.

So I have done a quick calculation of what our wedding is costing us just over $26,000n this includes everything from suits, dress material and so on. Now I still know this is a lot of money (A deposit an apartment) but it seems to be something a little more reasonable. (Please comment if you think I’m wrong)

The one thing I am looking forward to is after the wedding is having my money back and not paying for things for the day. Not that I begrudge paying for any of these thing but I'll tell you right now my shoe spending has gone down.

So I am now asking for comments or private messages on what you think is reasonable, what you have paid or what you know people have paid that you think was crazy or really reasonable.

No comments:

Post a Comment