Tuesday, September 7, 2010

So The Election Is Over, What Happens Next?


Now I know what your thinking isn't the rule not to talk about politics and religion. Well yeah but I logged onto Facebook tonight and saw a whole lot of disgruntled status updates about who one today election (I'm from the shire and it is a very strong Liberal seat and kills it every election, so if you live here and you vote Labour don't advertise it as you may lose a limb) Now I must admit I had one myself as I am not keen on the this whole election as a whole and after speaking to various people who did the donkey vote they have said if they knew it would be this close they would have actually done it properly.

We all get so geared up at election time and to be honest it's the only time I see a tonne of status updates about the politics and it will all die down within a few days and I will go back to seeing what people have had for breakfast or how bad there day is going. While a lot of us are not happy about the result we now need to ask ourselves Where do we go from here? A few things to remember is that the seats are on a pretty even split between parties so making changes and having policies go through will be very hard for Labour if the other 75 seats don't agree. I also believe that this election will change a lot of things Labour and Liberals know they are on a knives edge with the Australian people. If they didn't they both wouldn't be trying so hard to swing independents to see there side of things and start looking at rural Australia more.

Also this is a 3 year contract so to speak, if it all turns to rubbish what chance do we think Labour will hold a 3rd term? I do believe that the independents and Labour do there best to make the most of this 3 years and I really hope they do as the Australian people need a good 3 years after a particularly rough last 3.

So the thing to remember now is to give Labour a chance and let Julia Gillard have a go and lets try start this with a clean slate. Worst case scenario we can vote them out next year and vote in the sex party!

1 comment: