Wednesday, September 8, 2010

HAPPY FATHERS DAY! (I’m only a few days late)


I was going to write this blog last week and got a little caught up with some other stuff going on at work. So I thought I would write about dads this week in the festivity that is father’s day! Now I am very lucky I have a pretty amazing dad. I really admire my dad in a lot of ways, he has a strong work ethic he had the ability to go to uni as a mature aged student and has god knows how many degrees and also has the ability to scare anyone straight with this particularly quiet voice that has the edge of you really don’t want to mess with me (I’m told it takes years to perfect) He is really tall has salt and pepper hair with matching beard, hazel brown eyes and thick sausage fingers! Now anyone who knows me knows I look nothing like him and my eldest sister Jacqui is the spitting image of him and my mum didn’t really get a look in on her and I could definitely be the milk mans baby. Now I may not look like my dad but I am definitely my father’s daughter and I didn’t realise this until I was much older.

When I was younger my dad and I could fight and not one of us would back down. My dad was tough on us but always fair and as much as it pains me to say it was what has made my sisters and I the strong women we are today (obviously with my mum’s help) I remember a fight we had over I can’t remember and we didn’t speak for days. He was at the time working in Malaysia at the time and he dropped me to work when he was back home for a short visit and he was due to fly back to Malaysia that day while I was at work. I have a feeling that my mum asked him to put the issue to rest as he was leaving to go back for a few weeks and she didn’t want him to leave with us still angry at each other. I remembered my dad apologising and I pretty much told him to bugger off and traipsed into work. The fight continued till the next visit home. People seem to think I get my stubborn streak from him but I really don’t know why? (I say this with a smile)

As we have both gotten older I find we are both less stubborn and don’t really fight anymore and we have both come a little bit softer with age. But his dry sense of humour is still there I had to warn my now fiancé when I introduced him to my dad. Just laugh at anything he says he will be joking and he has a really good poker face. (Joe would love to be able to do this when he actually plays poker so he could win some money) I am grateful everyday that I still have my father as my best friend unfortunately doesn’t have hers and fathers day is always the hardest. I never had the pleasure to meet him but he must have been the most wonderful man as he gave me a friend like Corrine.


Happy Belated Fathers Day to my dad and to everyone else’s fathers who are out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment