Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The Decisions We Make And The Support We Get.

As I mentioned in my original post a few years ago I boarder lined with a eating disorder and I wanted to talk about some things that I felt played a small part in me heading down this road.
When I first made the decision that I wanted to lose some weight I was met with a whole tonne of negativity. How many of you reading this have been met with the same thing when you have said you wanted to lose some weight too? I'm guessing here but I may say a few. I remember speaking to a girl I was working with and she had notice my eating habits had changed a dramatic amount and had asked why. (Remember in my first blog I was consuming 4 coffees a day and a tonne of coke!)
I very shyly told her I was trying to lose weight. She thought about this for a moment and responded with why? I had to think for a second. I had never been asked why only had been told that you look fine you don't need to lose weight and so on and so on. Sounding familiar?
My response way clean and simple "I am not comfortable at this weight" and then I had a reaction that I have never had before and have yet to have again. She turned to me and said if that's what you need to do to be comfortable than so be it. She was very understanding of what I was doing and even researched into some weight loss techniques for me. It seems strange to me that people are willing to throw their support behind us for everything under the sun except for our weight unless we are overweight.
For example: I want a new job, people will offer up there support to look around for you and do what they can to help you achieve this. I have even had people help me with my resume when I have applied for new positions. Or if I’m getting married, here let me help you find venues or churches and Oh I know a great florist. Why is it we can support people in these type of things but when it comes to something like my weight people put their walls up and say no.

Because of this response I became very secretive about my diet and exercise. I simply felt like no one could understand or help me through it. Now I'm not saying if I had more support that I wouldn't have gone down that road but I may not have been pumping myself full of laxatives and energy tablets to make me go harder at the gym (I do not recommend this to anyone and I’m amazed that my digestive track is still in one piece) but I may have been able to say to someone I need help and have them tell me to pull my head. It all came to a head one night that I was sitting in bed with my now fiancĂ© and was sick and not wanting to eat any rice from our Thai. I ended up completely breaking down from starving myself and restricting what I was eating. I was lucky that he was there for me and has been since.

The reason I chose to write about this so early on is as I mentioned I'm getting married soon. So what does every bride want? To look amazing in their wedding day. For me there is a few kg I would like to lose, now keeping in mind of what I have written I'm asking that you don't pass judgement and firmly remember that we all need to feel comfortable in our own skin. I am not looking at losing an extraordinary amount of weight just a few kg. So what steps am I taking to make it different this time? I'm putting it out there for the world to know for starters and doing it right this time. So I have enlisted a personal trainer to help tone me up and have looked into ways to lose these few kg in a healthy manner. The option I have decided is the best for me is called Urban Remedy Cleanse. I will go more in depth on the weekend as I will give you a rundown of how it all works. So some have you may seen that I have put there link on my status update on Facebook. Well the responses I got were of the negative nature. No surprise there but as I said I am doing it right this time. I have been lucky enough to meet with someone in the company and have had it very properly explained to me. (As I said more details to come) So it's the choice I have made and it the choice I would like people to respect, I have made the conscious decisions that on my blog I will only talk of things that I have tried, known or had personal experience in no assumptions, no I read it on the Internet so it must be true talk. So when I see people making assumptions it gets me a little frustrated. I understand the people who are writing this stuff say it cause they love me and say it cause they read some information about cleansing so all cleanses must be the same. But as I said we all need to support one another in whatever we do.

Whether its weight loss or job hunting it's the people around us are the people we rely on the most for the support we get on the decisions we make. So I ask when someone tells you they want to lose weight or want to change something about themselves, be honest if you don't agree that's fine but let offer your support cause you may never know when you will need it back.

No comments:

Post a Comment