Monday, August 2, 2010

Personal Training, Is It Worth The Cost?


So long gone are the days that personal trainers are just for celebrities. I am lucky that I have a second job that allows me to afford to splash out on a trainer once a week. I have been really lucky that I have had some amazing trainers in my time but I have 2 that stick out in my mind. My first one is the amazing Emma Pilcher, I started to train with Emma at the beginning of the year who I absolutely loved. Emma would work me hard and have a good giggle, Emma is very inspiring and has achieved a lot in her life and has 2 very amazing children. Her husband and her run an amazing personal training business and would highly recommend her and her husband Glen to anyone. I unfortunately had to stop my training in May with Emma as I had lost my job and had to make some cut backs and my personal training was one of them. I still remain close with Emma and love being able to hear about her adventures. So when I started working again I wanted to get back to training, the only thing I needed to go train in the mornings before work and nights no longer suit. I am also unable to train on Saturdays as I work then, as Emma has her little ones I don't want her to be asked to get up for me at 5:30am. So I was thinking who would be able to do this for me? Then I realised there is someone who I know can kick my butt as she does it 2 mornings a week. And that’s the beautiful Amanda Kelly, a couple of reasons I made the decision to go with Amanda is for starters she is the same shape as me, so I know that she will know how my body works. Amanda like Emma has a killer body so that’s a big plus. I also like the way Amanda's teaches classes, I'm always tired and feel like I have had an amazing workout afterwards. So I have now been working with Amanda for about a month now and I'm already seeing a huge difference in my body. I also have come to find myself a new friend in Amanda. She has been very supportive of my goals and hasn’t shied away from me for wanting to achieve them. The thing I also love is she continually kicks my butt and tells me I can do something even when I think I can’t. Especially when I told her I was allergic to chin ups! That excuse hasn’t work and I know I will be doing them soon.

So my question is, is personal trainers worth all the hype. My answer is Yes but the is a but at the end of that. Finding the right trainer is the key, as they are not all the same and some are downright terrible. For example there is a trainer in my gym to bitched to a client that I was going to get a big bum from doing a particular exercise as he saw me do it regularly, problem is she is one of my clients and told me. Now as far as I’m concerned this guy can get stuffed but the problem for our mutual client is that she doesn’t want to go in the weight areas anymore in fear that this trainer will bitch about her. So here are some tips that might help. Look for referrals from people who have them, watch PT’s around your gym and see if you like the way they are training their clients and never be scared to say it’s not working if you have done a few sessions and it doesn’t work or they start bitching about other clients.
Map out the reason you want a trainer and so you can be forward with them when you start, whether it is weight loss, muscle definition or just to mix things up.

So on my second day of cleanse and I am still not well. I am eating food and incorporating my juices through the day, for example I had a light breakfast of some gluten free toast and a small salad for lunch. I drank a juice mid morning and will drink my juices this afternoon and tonight. While this is not ideal for a proper cleanse it’s what I need to do until I start to get better. I find the juices do make me feel full and give me energy as well I will keep doing this through the week and see what kind of weight loss I have on Friday. If I don’t lose the 3kg that was recommended that I would lose I won’t be upset as I know I have done the right thing by my body.

For reccomendations for amazing personal trainers please email me on danielle.banister@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment